Save the Date! (24-26 September)
Dam Removal Europe invites you to the “Selune Valley revival”
International Seminar on dam removal in France
Dam Removal Europe invites you to the “Selune Valley revival” International Seminar on dam removal in France–the fifth Dam Removal Europe International Seminar! The seminar will take place in France on the 24-26 of September 2019. It will happen thanks to the support and collaboration of European Rivers Network (ERN), the French Agency for Biodiversity (AFB), the National Federation for Fishing in France (FNPF) and the National Institute of Agronomic Research (INRA). The seminar main organizer is ERN, you will be able to find more information (also in French) in ERN website. This fifth seminar will be hosted near Mont-Saint-Michel and will feature the Sélune Dam removal project. Many other examples from France and abroad will be the basis of inspirational exchanges and debate.
The seminar will be 3 days and will take place in 3 different locations, one on each day:
24th of September
The first day will take place in the town of Rennes, Brittany (with international airport and direct trains from Paris). There will be presentations which will look at the scientific aspects of dam removals and will include presentations of restoration of ecological continuity projects around Europe and USA. Also, the scientific program of the Sélune project will be presented (Vezins and La Roche qui Boit Dam removals), including its initial results.
25th of September
The second day will take place in Avranches, Normandy. It is 85km away from Rennes (attendees will be escorted there by bus).
The main themes of this second day will be restoration issues for a general interest audience and for the territory (advantages, disadvantages, opportunities, weaknesses). The sharing of experiences from France, Spain, Japan, Denmark, UK, USA… dam removal projects to inspire local debate.
26th of September
The third day will be the fieldtrip, where attendees will be taken to the Selune Valley to check the dam removal works of the Vezins Dam and meet the project participants.
During this event you are also encouraged to participate
September 23rd at 20:00 in Rennes (time and exact location to be confirmed): Public conference for the International Year of the Salmon
September 24th at 20:00: Dinner organized for the participants of the conference (Close to Avranches)
September 25th at 18:00: Visit to the dam in Mont-Saint-Michel Bay including a free visit to the Mont itself.
Register here: www.weezevent.com/colloque-international-selune
Rates and options according to the number of days selected. Minimum 2 days registration. For any question please contact Corinne Ronot (ERN) at Email: email@example.com
These are fixed rates. Activities included: Lunch, coffee/tea breaks, according to selected days, the transfers by bus (Rennes – Avranches), shuttles to hotels and Mont St Michel, dinner on the 24th of September.
Hotel reservations are the responsibility of the participants. (See a list of hotel recommendations below)
24th of September: “Couvent des Jacobins – Centre des Congrès de Rennes Métropole”, 20 Place Sainte-Anne, 35000 Rennes view location map, From the station, you can reach the location by subway 7-minutes or a 20-minutes’ walk.
25th of September: “Salle Victor Hugo d’Avranches”, place Carnot, 50300 Avranches view location map A shuttle will be organized between some hotels and the Victor Hugo conference venue: reference to times and stops in the “Shuttle” section. Transfer between Rennes and Avranches will be provided: see section “Shuttle”.
26th of September: Sélune fieldtrip: Bus from the Victor Hugo conference venue – hotel stops (see timetable and stops in the section “Shuttle”) – and return to the Rennes train station (via Avranches).
Traveling to Rennes
- Take the metro or RER in Paris to go to “Gare Montparnasse” Station.
- Departing from “Gare Montparnasse”, the TGV train journey to Rennes is one and a quarter hours. there are 41 connections/day, a train leaves every half hour or so.
- Rennes is 1 hour from Roissy-Charles de Gaulle airport.
- Rennes airport is 20 minutes away from the city center (by bus number 57 – see bus stop map, train or by cab). Rennes airport – national flights: daily direct flights from the main French cities (Paris, Bordeaux, Toulouse, Marseille, Nice, Lyon). Rennes airport – international flights: many connections are available (1h30) from any number of major European cities (London, Southampton, Birmingham, Exeter, Manchester, Dublin, Cork, Madrid, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Rome …)
- By road, Rennes is 3.5 hours from Paris via the A11 and A81.
- Rennes, the Breton capital is also 55 minutes from Avranches and a little more than 1 hour from Mont-Saint-Michel. · Think about carpooling: ask for the list of participants (by city of departure) or propose / search a carpooling trip
Traveling to Avranches
With the conference shuttle
A special conference shuttle will be chartered to run between Rennes and Avranches on September 24th 17:30. Departure in front of the convent of the Jacobins. The return to Rennes has also been organized for the afternoon of the 26th (see tab “Shuttle conference”).
- By road, Avranches is 30 minutes from Mont Saint Michel, 55 minutes from Rennes and 1 hour from Caen.
- Think about carpooling: ask for the list of participants (by city of departure) or propose / search a carpooling trip
- Avranches has a train station with connections to Rennes and Caen
Please, book through email or phone call and make sure you give the code “colloque DRE”, because if not they might not give you any room!
Hotels in Rennes
If you arrive on September 23rd to Rennes, the eve of the conference, you may need book accommodation in:
- Hôtel Lanjuinais : prox station, 10 min walk from Jacobins Convent (rooms from 55 €), Telephone: (+33) 02 99 79 02 03
- Hôtel Sevigne : prox station, 10 min walk from Jacobins Convent (rooms from 82 €), Telephone: (+33) 02 99 67 27 55
Many other offers are available online.
Hotels in Avranches
For the night of September 24th and 25th we have blocked rooms in the following hotels, available until August 1st. Please book by email or phone using the code “colloque DRE”
N.B: A shuttle will pick up and bring people to and from the following hotels: see “Shuttle” section for dates and times.
- Hôtel Patton: located in the center of Avranches, 10 minutes’ walk from Victor Hugo venue (room between 59 and 72 €). Telephone: (+33) 02 33 48 52 52. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- · Hôtel Ibis Avranches Baie du Mont Saint Michel: located outsided Avranches, 7 min by bus from the Victor Hugo venue (room 84 €). Telephone: (+33) 02 33 89 64 89. Email: email@example.com
- Hôtel le 13 assiettes: located outside Avranches, 7 min by bus from Victor Hugo venue (room 59 €). Telephone: (+33) 02 33 89 03 03. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Auberge de la Sélune: located outside Avranches, 10 min by bus from Victor Hugo venue(room 59 €). Telephone: (+33) 02 33 48 53 62. Email: email@example.com
Other hotels (no shuttle service and booking code):
24th of September
Shuttle Rennes – Avranches: Departure 17:30 from Jacobins Convent (Rennes) >> Avranches: stop at the Auberge de la Sélune, Hotel 13 plates, Hotel Ibis, Hotel Patton
- Shuttle hotels – Dinner on Tuesday evening: Departure 19:45 FROM Hotel Patton, 20:00 from Hotel IBIS, 20:10 from Hotel 13 plates, 20:00 from Auberge de la Sélune
- Shuttle restaurant – hotel return
- Departure at 21:45 from the restaurant (stops at Hôtel Les 13 Plates, Hôtel Ibis, Hotel Patton)
- Departure at 22:30 from the restaurant (stops at Hotel les 13 plates, Hotel Ibis, Hotel Patton, Auberge de la Sélune)
25th of September
Shuttle from Hotels to Victor Hugo venue: Departures 8:15 from Auberge de la Sélune, 8:30 from Hotel Le 13 plates, 8:40 from Hotel Ibis. Be careful this shuttle does not stop at the Patton Hotel!
- Shuttle from Victor Hugo venue to Mont Saint Michel: Departures at 18:00 from the Victor Hugo venue.
- Shuttle from Victor Hugo venue to Hotels: Departures at 18:00 from Victor Hugo venue.
- Shuttle from Mont Saint Michel to hotels: Departures from Mont Saint Michel at 21:45 (stops at Hôtel Les 13 Plates, Hotel IBIS, Hotel Patton, Auberge de la Sélune)
26th of September
Bus Sélune fieldtrip: Departures at 8:45 from Victor Hugo venue, 8:55 from Ibis Hotel, 9:00 from Hotel Les 13 Plates, 9:10 from Auberge de la Sélune. Be careful this shuttle does not pass by the Patton Hotel!
- Shuttle La Mazure – Rennes (via Avranches)
- Departures at 12:30 from La Mazure, 13:00 at Avranches (Victor Hugo venue), 14:00 Rennes (train station)
- Departure 15:00 from La Mazure, 15:30 from Avranches (Victor Hugo venue), 16:30 Rennes (train station)
For any question please contact Corinne Ronot (ERN) at Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Telephone: (+33) 0621844793
You can subscribe to our Dam Removal Europe newsletter here!