The removal of the Tikkurila Dam in Finland is an exemplary model of a planning process which, with the full involvement of stakeholders, produced an outcome that is beneficial not only for river connectivity and migratory fishes but also for people.
The Tikkurila Dam was situated on the 65kms-long Keravanjoki (the Kerava River) which is a tributary of the Vantaanjoki (Vantaa River) which flows into the Gulf of Finland at Helsinki. The Vantaanjoki is the main watercourse of the 1685 km² watershed.
Tikkurila is a district and major region of the municipality of Vantaa which is located in the eastern half of the Helsinki conurbation around 16kms (10 miles) north of the centre of the city. Tikkurila is the administrative and commercial hub of Vantaa.
The dam was around 47m long, 3m wide and 4.5m high and was built from a concrete core clad with stone.