Available streams of funding
At the European level:
European Open Rivers Programme
The European Open Rivers Programme offers grants to support projects that lead to the removal of small dams and the restoration of river flow and biodiversity. Specifically, the programme supports the following:
- The removal of small dams in catchments that offer the highest potential for river restoration and ecosystem recovery.
- Preparatory work in catchments to prepare dams for removal such as general project development, feasibility studies, provision of technical designs, and securing permissions and permits.
- Interventions to prepare small dam removal projects with high ecological potential for removal by a third party.
- Interventions to enable the European dam removal movement to help ensure that dam removal becomes more widely accepted and implemented.
For countries belonging to the EU:
For France, specifically:
Water Agencies in France help finance up to 80% of dam removal projects. This funding is approved annually and it can come from FEDER Fund, Interreg Projects, National government, and others. Here’s a list of water agencies in France:
- Adour-Garonne Water Agency
- Artois-Picardie Water Agency
- Loire-Brittany Water Agency
- Rhine-Meuse Water Agency
- Rhône-Mediterranean-Corsica Water Agency
- Seine-Normandy Water Agency
For Scotland, specifically:
For Sweden, specifically::
For projects in the USA:
Other funding opportunities:
Planet Wild is a new community of people who care deeply about nature and want to help our planet bounce back – one mission at a time. “Every month, we finance the work of ecological restoration pioneers worldwide to bring back endangered species, clean up oceans and restore rivers and forests. Each mission gets documented in a well-produced video to share the story of our partners and draw attention to the impact they create. We are currently scouting for dam removal projects in Europe that we can support with a 10.000 EUR community sponsorship as a sole funder or co-funder. We are looking for projects that fit the following criteria:
- demonstrable biodiversity benefits
- river site must be completely returned to natural environment
- clearly visible barrier in the water, blocking water flow
- removal preferably includes the use of explosives
If your project fits these criteria, we’d love to talk! Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with a brief project description and availability for a call.”